After a Kirkland motorcycle accident do I need to call my insurance company if the accident wasn’t my fault?

Free Case Evaluation

Yes! Most insurance policies require you to report a motorcycle or motor vehicle accident within a certain amount of time of the accident.  This time frame is usually no more than 72 hours.  You need to do this even when the accident isn't your fault. Your failure to do so can result in the insurance company denying your claim for repair of your bike, payment of your medical bills or any other payments you may have been entitled to if you made a timely report of loss.

You may not realize certain things following an accident are designed to going through your insurance first and then be repaid later by the at-fault driver's insurance company.  This is most common in PIP insurance when dealing with medical bills, but is also common for repair bills. 

The biggest reason to report is in case the at-fault driver has no insurance or not enough insurance to cover all your medical bills, lost wages and any other harms and losses. In this scenario you may have uninsured motorist or underinsured motorist coverage on your motorcycle insurance design to help in this kind of situation. When your medical bills exceed the at-fault driver's insurance you need to make a underinsured motorist claim or you'll have to pay those bills yourself.  It's insurance coverage you bought just in case of this kind of worst case scenario, which unfortuanely is all to common in mototcycle accident cases. 

In addition to contacting your insurance company, you should also contact a Kirkland motorcycle accident attorney, so that you can learn what your rights are before signing anything or speaking with the at fault driver's insurance company.  A good first step is to order our book Motorcycle Accident Secrets Unlocked.

Max Meyers
Connect with me
Max is a Kirkland personal injury attorney handling cases in Seattle, King County & surrounding in WA State.