The decision to have surgery is not one to be taken lightly. There are questions you can ask your surgeon to educate yourself and improve your chances of a successful outcome.
Here are 7 questions to ask your surgeon before you agree to a surgery?
- Is he/she board certified to perform the specific operation discussed?
- Will losing weight pre-operation be helpful?
- What are the surgical implications of having sleep apnea?
- Are there any less invasive surgical options?
- What risk reducing steps can you take before surgery?
- Are you a smoker? Does smoking increase the risk for post-surgical complications?
- How many of the specific operation discussed have you performed in the last 6 or 12 months?
It’s also a good idea to do a little background check on your surgeon. You should confirm any board certifications. Here’s a good article on checking board certifications. Also in Washington, you can check medical license status and legal disciplinary actions after 1998 at the Washington State Department of Health website.