Redmond and other parts of Washington have encouraged bicycling by providing bike lanes and other measures to make bicycling friendly. Redmond is even a Bicycle Friendly Community, designated as such by the League of American Bicyclists. But all of these measures may not completely prevent traffic accidents involving bikes.
Reckless driving around cyclists is still a danger of which all bicyclists should be aware. Below is an overview of some of types of motorist negligence that can cause a wreck with a bike.
How can motorist negligence contribute to a bicyclist accident?
There are a number of ways that a motorist’s negligent and careless driving can cause a bicycle accident. Here are just some of them.
- Making a right run into the path of a bicyclist
- Turning left in front of an oncoming bicyclist
- Failing to yield to a bicyclist, especially near stoplights
- Failure to leave at least three feet of clearance while passing by a bicyclist
- Yelling at a bicyclist
- Following the bicyclist too closely
- Driving at excessive speeds, thereby preventing the driver from slowing down in time to avoid the bicyclist
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Failure to look out for bicyclists, especially near intersections
- Using a cell phone or texting while driving: distractions make it even less likely the driver will spot a bicyclist
What to Do if Involved in an Accident Involving Motorist Negligence
If you are in a bicycle accident that was the result of negligent driving, first, get medical help for your injuries. Note important information, like what caused the accident. For example, did a motorist turn left in front of you while you were proceeding straight through an intersection?
Get contact information from witnesses present at the scene as well as the motorist’s contact information, including the license plate number. If your injuries don't require that you leave the scene of the accident, wait until police arrive at the scene and file an accident report. You may also file a claim against the negligent motorist.
A claim for damages after a bicycle accident can recover compensation for the following.
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Diminished earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
Call to set up a consultation with Max Meyers Law; you can also fill out the form on our contact page to schedule an appointment to review your case.