If you, or a family member, has recently suffered an injury that was the result of another party’s negligence, it’s important to find the most suitable attorney for your specific needs. Below are three of the most important things to consider before hiring a personal injury attorney. Take the time to carefully weigh your decision because your attorney will undoubtedly have a significant impact on the resolution of your claim.
#1: Choose an Attorney Who’s Qualified, Local, & Handles Personal Injury
Ask friends and family members, check the state bar, and do an online search as starting points to find references for attorneys who may be able to help with your claim.
Narrow it down to attorneys who have three characteristics:
- Local to the area – Attorneys local to your area will know the local court system and its judges as well as have a deeper understanding of the local laws that might affect your claim.
- Possess verifiable qualifications – Research prospective lawyers. Try to find attorneys who are members of the bar and of professional organizations, have successful track records with settlements, and can supply client testimonials.
- Handle personal injury claims – Select an attorney who deals specifically with the area of Washington personal injury law. If the attorney does not regularly handle personal injury cases, he or she may not be able to serve you best.
#2: Make Sure Priorities are Aligned
Call each attorney and schedule an interview. It’s perfectly acceptable to jot down questions and bring them with you so you don’t forget.
Ask questions that clue you in to the lawyer’s priorities, such as:
- What steps will you take and what resources will you use to build my case?
- Do you believe in taking cases to court when necessary?
The choice you should make depends upon your needs. Balance is key; select an attorney who’s adept at both negotiating and litigating in court when needed.
#3: Determine if the Attorney Can Really Meet Your Needs
Lastly, choose a personal injury attorney who you feel has the time to adequately take care of your case, inquire about:
- the lawyer’s caseload;
- whom your primary point of contact will be; and
- how the law firm will keep you posted on the status of your case.
If the attorney seems harried or if you suspect that he or she doesn’t have the time or inclination to give your case the attention it deserves, move on.
For Counsel in the Redmond Area, Contact Max Meyers Law PLLC
If you are looking for a qualified personal injury lawyer who helps clients in the Redmond area, contact Max Meyers Law PLLC. We handle all types of personal injury cases, and would be happy to consult with you to see if we are the right fit for you. Call or 425-399-7000 today, or fill out our contact form, to schedule a free legal consultation at your convenience.