Out-of-State Car Accident: In which state do I file my claim after an accident in Washington?

Free Case Evaluation

An out-of-state car accident can be incredibly confusing. Are you supposed to file in your home state or in the state where the accident occurred? When you are involved in an accident in Washington State, you file in Washington. This means you need to know and follow Washington State laws and procedures for filing a claim. Max Meyers of Max Meyers Law PLLC in Kirkland, Washington has handled countless accidents involving out-of-state drivers and can handle yours too.  

Why should I have a Washington State car accident lawyer handle my case?

You need a lawyer who knows state laws and procedures.

Every state has its own state laws. While you might not think this will make a big difference, it can change your entire case. For example:

  • Do you know how long you have to file a claim in Washington? No matter how good your car accident claim is, if you do not file your claim in time under the procedural rules of the state of Washington, your case is over.
  • Do you know whether you can file a claim against the government in Washington or whether it has sovereign immunity?
  • Do you know the process for filing a claim in Washington State?
  • Did the other driver break a law? Because each state has its own state laws, something that is legal in your state might be illegal in Washington.

All of these things differ from state to state. Only a Washington State car accident lawyer will know all the intricacies of an accident case.

You need a lawyer who knows state insurance and fault laws.

A Washington state car accident lawyer reviewing laws.

Knowledge of Washington’s insurance laws is important in handling a car accident claim. Like every state, Washington has its own laws on auto insurance. There are required minimum amounts of insurance and optional amounts over the minimum amounts that are available. This will allow you determine how much you can recover.

Each state also has its own procedure for handling accidents. Washington is a fault-state which means you can recover compensation without turning to your own policy first. If you hire a lawyer from a no-fault state such as Florida, s/he might not know the process for filing a claim.

You also need an attorney who knows what fault laws the state follows. Washington State follows a pure comparative negligence law which means you can recover compensation even if you are 99 percent at fault. If your home state is a pure comparative fault state like Maryland or Virginia or a modified comparative fault state like Georgia, a lawyer might not realize that you are still entitled to compensation even if you were more than half at fault for the accident.

Where can I get help for my car accident claim in Washington?

If you have been injured in a car accident in the State of Washington, you need a Washington lawyer to handle your claim. At Max Meyers Law PLLC, we know the laws, procedural rules, and time limitations in Washington, and we have years of experience handling accident claims. We will sit down with you and evaluate your case for free. We are happy to work with out of state clients who have been injured in car accidents in Washington State.

We provide a wealth of information on our website. You can read about every member of our legal team, and see our photos so that you can put a face with the name of the person you are dealing with at our firm. Read and see what our clients are saying about us. With today’s technology, the miles can melt away so you can feel completely comfortable working with us, even if you are in another part of the country.

We will answer your questions and navigate you through the claims process in the State of Washington. We also do not charge a fee unless you get a recovery. Call us today at 425-399-7000 to schedule your free consultation.

Max Meyers
Connect with me
Max is a Kirkland personal injury attorney handling cases in Seattle, King County & surrounding in WA State.